Renew Your Membership by May 12th to Vote on the Election of Directors and Proposed Bylaws Amendments
The deadline for becoming a member entitled to vote is fast approaching! To vote in the upcoming election, you must be an Association or Registry member, at least 18 years old, and own at least 25% of a live AOA-registered alpaca. If you have not yet renewed or upgraded your membership, you can do so on your dashboard after logging in at www.AlpacaInfo.com.
This year, in addition to voting for three Board members, we have two proposed Bylaws amendments for consideration.
The first Bylaws amendment would change the annual election timeline slightly to allow more time between the conclusion of the election and the AOA Annual Meeting. The Board is recommending this Bylaws change to make it more likely that newly-elected Directors will be able to attend the Annual Meeting and also to allow time for bringing newly-elected Directors up to speed on AOA matters before being seated on the Board.
The second Bylaws amendment would change the restrictions on how AOA’s funds held in reserve can be invested. The Board is recommending this Bylaws change so that AOA’s reserves can be invested in vehicles which yield a higher return than the vehicles currently allowed by the Bylaws. Although diversifying AOA’s investments in this way will expose the funds to somewhat more risk, the Board believes it is in AOA’s best interests to invest in assets which have the potential for much more growth.
This year’s election will again be conducted via an online voting service. To review the candidate statements and the proposed Bylaws changes, visit www.alpacainfo.com/election.
2019 Election Candidates
Following are the six candidates running for three open positions on the Board.
- Shauna R. Brummet, PhD — Hobby Horse Farm (OH)
- Joe Crocco — Copper Star Alpaca Farm (NY)
- Rhonda Lynn Deschner — Tierra Prometida Alpacas (TX)
- Wendy Dittbrenner — Peaceful Prairie Ranch (AZ)
- Justin McElroy — Buck Brook Alpacas (NY)
- Rick Ritenour — Alpaca Palace (PA)
- May 12, 2019 —Last day to become a paid member to vote on the election of Directors and Bylaws amendments
- May 15, 2019 — Online voting opens
- May 31, 2019 — Online voting closes
- July 20, 2019 — 2019–20 Board of Directors and new officers introduced at the AOA Annual Meeting during the Natural Fiber Extravaganza in Nashville, Tennessee.
If you have any questions or are unsure of your membership level, please call the AOA office at 402-437-8484 and we will be happy to assist you. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CDT.