|AlpacaGram 6.82||September 18, 2019|
Good Day Alpaca Owners,
Have you ever wondered how to make more money in the alpaca business? Maybe another question is CAN I ever make money in the Alpaca business?
The Government and Industry Relations Committee (GIRCom) has been listening to your concerns and we have attached a spreadsheet to help you understand your finances, and more importantly, if you’re willing to help out others, how you compare to similar sized alpaca enterprises, not only by the number of alpaca you have but also by region.
- Pacific: CA, OR, WA AK and HI
- Mountain: ID, NV, UT, AZ, MT WY, CO, NM
- West North Central: ND, SD, NE, KS, MN, IA, MO
- South North Central: TX, OK, AR, LA
- East North Central: WI, IL, IN, MI, OH
- East South Central: MS, AL, TN, KY
- New England: ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, CT
- Middle Atlantic: NY, PA, NJ
- South Atlantic: DE, MD, WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, and Washington DC
You will not have to do any programming. Just put in your numbers (from your prior year’s tax return, schedule F) and the spread sheet will do the rest. You may add some additional income lines or expenses. This is your spreadsheet and it’s hopefully going to become interactive! How? If you’re willing to share your spread sheet (we do not need your farm name) GIRCom will compile all the spreadsheets received and share the totals by region. Then you can compare your results with your peers.
If you have a farm in more than one location, you may combine data if they are in the same Region, but you should separate the data if they are in different Regions.
There are a number of reasons to participate or at least to complete the spreadsheet for your own use.
- It will support your position that you are in the alpaca business to make a profit since you have a worksheet that supports your management of the business.
- It will give you additional information to see by region how you compare to others.
- You may gain additional ideas on other revenue sources.
- You may determine that your expenses are higher than others.
- You may realize that in order to make a profit you may wish to increase or decrease your herd.
- It will give you the management tools you need to continue to enhance your herd from a profitability standpoint.
- It may be used as a financial tool to support any grant or loan application.
- It will be good for AOA, as our national organization, to have specific data when questions about the alpaca industry are asked.
GIRCom envisions this is just the start (not a perfect start) that over time will enhance the alpaca industry, so when someone asks you "what do you do with alpacas" and your answer is "the fleece is wonderful" you can also support the question of "How do you make money?". Please help us collect information on the 2018 tax year.
Download Alpaca Benchmark Worksheet (xlsx)
Share your data with GIRCom
Your input will provide valuable data for the industry. Participation is anonymous and no personal or farm data will be shared when using this information.
After completing the worksheet, enter information in an online form that will anonymously collect the information.
Online Form for Data Collection
GIRCom thanks you in advance for any help, comments, or suggestions as this moves forward.